City Dubno – official information

Листопад 17 10:28 2013

city-dubnoThe town of Dubno is situated on the picturesque banks of the Ikva River. It is one of the oldest towns of Volyn.

On the territory of Dubno district the archaeologists found the traces of the late Paleolithic and ancient Kyivan Rus settlements, burial mound and burial hill of a tribe of spherical amphora culture, tomb made of large stone blocks and the settlements of the early and late Bronze, early Slav and Chcrniakhivska culture periods. They all prove that this territory was inhabited by the people from the ancient times.

The legend says that in ancient time there was a village of Dubenka in the middle of great oak forests. The name of Dubno probably comes from this settlement. According to the chronicle this settlement was situated on the place of the former power station on the left bank of the Ikva River.

However, the first documentary mention of Dubno is the Ipatiivskyi Chronicle “The story of ancient times”. The Chronicle says that on August 30, 1100 at the princes’ Convention in Vetychi, when the prince of Terebovlia Vasylko was blinded, Volodymyr-Volyn prince Davyd Igorevytch was dispossed of his principality and granted Busk, Ostrig, Duben and Chartoryisk. Like other feudal towns of Kyivan Rus Duben was a military centre and fortress where during the enemies’ attacks the people from the neighbouring villages could take refuge.

The Ipatiivskyi Chronicle also mentioned Dubno in 1149 when at the intestine wars for the Kyivan throne the founder of Moscow Yuriy Dolgorukyi with his sons and army came to Volyn.

In 1240 Dubno was completely destroyed by khan Batyi’s hordes. As a result, it turned into a small settlement. However, its favourable position on the European trade routes, concentration of rich people, merchants and craftsmen in the town contributed to the trade development and increase of its population.

After Volyn was conquered by Lihuania Dubno passed to prince Fedir Ostrozkyi according to Yagarlo’s Charter of November 4, 1386. The dynasty of the Ostrozkyi princes was one of the greatest and most glorious Ukrainian prince families. They owned the lands at Volyn, Podilla, Kyivan region and Galychyna.

In 1492 the Ostroskyi princes built Dubno Castle. At the time it became a stronghold to protect their lands from the destructive raids of enemies.

On June 9, 1498 Konstantyn Ostrovskyi received from the Lithuanian prince Olexander the Charter for granting Dubno the status of town. In 1507 the Polish king Sigizmund I conferred it the Magdeburg Right that allowed to hold annual markets and fairs in the town. All these factors resulted in the rapid growth of trade and development of handicrafts. Dubno gradually turned into a typical medieval European town.

In the late XVI century Konstantyn Konstantynovych Ostrozkyi invited to Volyn a young well-educated monk Yov Zalizo. In 1580 lov became the hegumen of the Holy Cross Monastery, later of the Saviour’s Monastery of Dubno and in 1608 after K. Ostrozkyi’s death of the Pochaiv Monastery. However, no written works by lov Zalizo survived up to the present.

Due to several generations of the princes Ostrozkyis Dubno developed into a splendid town where you can hear the chimes of the bells of the monasteries. Yanusz (1554-1620) was the last of the Ostrozkyi princes. From his early youth in 1557 he headed the defence of the town from the Crimean Tatars.

 

After Yanusz death all his lands including Dubno passed to the Zaslavskyi princes, the female heirs. In 1648 prince Wladislaw Dominic Zaslavskyi became the supporter of Poland. Since 11 to 13 September at the battle of Pyliavtsa the troops under the command of Maxym Kryvonos defeated totally Zaslavkyi’s Polish army and captured Dubno. In 1673 Olexander, the last of the Zaslavskyi princes, died. His daughter Teophila got married to prince Yosuf Liubomyrskyi. She was endowed the town of Dubno as well as her father’s all lands.

In 1703 Josyf Liubomyrskyi died having no worthiest of blood. Dubno passed to the female heirs Sangushko princes. On December 7, 1753 prince Sangushko presented or as the other researchers consider gambled away to Stanislaw Liubomyrskyi as a legend says the town of Dubno, the village of Ptycha and other 70 settlements. Stanislaw had his own family residence in the town of Rivne that his father Yuriy had owned since 1723. Volyn citizens and Polish noblemen protested against such kind of “gift” of Dubno. Therefore a special committee was sent to investigate this fact. However, the committee confirmed the legitimacy of this devolution. But prince Sangushko was undirected by the order of the Polish king Stanislaw’s. This right passed to his sons.

During the Northern War Dubno district was attended by such distinguished figures as hetman Ivan Mazepa, the Swedish king Karl XII and Russian tsar Petro I.

In 1772 when Lviv constituted Austria the great contract fair was brought from Lviv to Dubno. A lot of foreign merchants participated in the fair. At that time the owners of Dubno, the Liubomyrskyi princes, organized the sumptuous balls for the magnates, performances and concerts. In 1780 the Polish actor and dramatist ..lived in the town where he staged his plays. Later moved to Warsaw. He became the founder of the Polish national theatre. In the late XVIII century Mykhailo Liubomyrskyi began to rebuild Dubno Castle. In 1871 Liubomyrskyi sold Dubno by auction to princess Boriatynska. In 1795 according to the order of Catherine II Dubno became the district town of Podilla province and later of Volyn province. In 1797 the fair “Duben Contracts” was moved to Novograd-Volynskyi and later to Kyiv where it started the famous market at Podol.

In the early XIX century Dubno became a border point at the frontier between Russia and Austria. The military garrison under the command of the general field marshal M.I.Kutuzov and hero of the War of 1812 was situated here.

In 1890 Dubno was visited the Russian emperor Olexander III and his family. He held the inspection of the bastions of the newly built Tarakanivskyi Fort and observed the military manoeuvres. Then the emperor watched the icon of the God’s Mother of the XVI century, visited the town of Pochaiv where all his family was blessed by the clergymen. The last of the Romanov dynasty Mykola came here with his family as well.

On February of 1917 after the collapse of the Russian Empire Dubno district became a part of the Ukrainian People’s Republic. According to the Treaty of Riga on March 18, 1921 it became a part of Poland.

During the Great Patriotic War on June of 1941 the area of Dubno, Radyviliv and Berestechko became the place of the greatest armoured combat of the first period of the War. The advance of the fascist tank army under the command of general Kleist was stemmed for a week.

On March 17, 1944 Dubno was liberated from the German Fascist invaders.

A lot of monuments of architectural interest survived up to now. Among them are the XVI century Ostrozkyi princes’ Palace, Lutsk Gateway, synagogue, the XVII century church, Bernardine Fathers’ Monastery, Carmelite Convent, Spaso-Preobrazhenska Church, the XVIII century Liubomyrskyi princes Palace. St.Georgyi’s Church at Surmychi, the XIX century Merchant’s House, church, House of Contracts, the early XX century St. Illia’s Church and others.

We don’t know much about the icon of the God’s Mother which was presented to Dubno Saviour’s Monastery by prince Konstantyn Ostrozkyi. In 1892 the icon was replaced to the Church of the Holy Cross Desert. Then the researchers lost track of the icon, although there are several versions of its disappearance.

There survived the ruins of the Tarakanivskyi Fort which was built for the protection of the borders of the Russian Empire in the late XIX century.

The town of Dubno is associated with the names of outstanding people that created its history. Among them were Danylo Galytskyi, Severyn Nalyvaiko, prince Conde, duke the Berry, hegumen Vitaliy, Stanislaw August, Taras Schevchenko, Grigoriy Skovoroda, Olexander Suvorov, Onore de Balzak, Ivan Fedorov, Mykhailo Dragomanov, Maxym Rylskyi, Lesia Ukrainka, Symon Petlura, Adam … , Vitaliy Lysenko, general de Ivan Vygovskyi, Mykhola Kostomarov, … patriarch Mstyslav, Nina Matvienko, Ulas Samchuk, Olena Teliga, Andriy Malyshko, Oiexander Kuprin.

The Polish, Czech, Italians, Armenians, Germans and representatives of other nations who lived in the town also built and created Dubno.

The anciend town of Dubno entered the new millenium with his rich and heroic history, great faith and hopes for its rebirth and prosperous future. Every year several cultural events take place in the town. The most famous are the festival of national minorities, religious music festival, festival “In the Whirlpool of the Dance”, Ukrainian festival of rock and popular music “Taras Bulba”, and social-political project “Crystal Acorn”.

The festival “In the Whirlpool of the Dance” traditionally takes place in June, it can be dedicated to the Children Protection Day. Different dance groups of our town and guests take part in the festival. The winners of the competition program get memorable prizes.

The festival “Taras Bulba” is a cultural and artistic project aimed at development and popularization of Ukrainian youth culture and aesthetics. It helps spreading of Ukrainian national idea among talented young people, rising of professional level of Ukrainian artists, propaganda of national producers and goods, and development of youth tourism in the region. This festival is traditionally held in July. Guests not only from all over Ukraine but also from abroad come here to visit the festival.

August 25 people celebrate Town’s Day. Celebrations begin with visiting the state historical-cultural park “Ancient walls watching us”. Celebration includes the social-political rating “Crystal Acorn”. Its goal is to honour the best town citizens.

In 2008 for the first time an international festival of children folklore “The Bag Rolled” took place. Collectives from Serbia, Germany, Estonia, Czech Republic and different regions of Ukraine participated in the festival.

Traditionally in May a regional celebration of national cultures “In the Family Circle” is held.

May 27, 2007 the artistic report of municipal brass band “Dubno” took place. The program of the report concert “On the Music Wings” included pearls of world and Ukrainian orchestra works and songs, jazz compositions and humour.

In 2006 and 2007 in Dubno planners of talented artists were held. The participants of the planners presented their works in the exposition halls of Dubno castle. Their works represent unique world of Dubno landscapes. The planners had real success.